January 26, 2011

Mr. America

that's how it was
i'd be useful for a season then you'd
somehow find a reason
to commit terrorist treason
against this united state of mind you
plead for us to be in
monopolizing my mind and
capitalizing the limited capacity of my heart
corrupting the only ally to my sanity
you raped me
of all logic
with your practical promises of
"a better tomorrow"
and my loyalty trusted you
pledged allegiance to
even the red flags
a blind partisan
governed by fear of sight
i loved my king dumb
in any condition
always ready to rebuild
from scratch
after the nature of ANY storm
but then
the rain began to come too often
and the fixed foundation began to soften
because i only had mud to mold monuments
as i stood strong

for them
by myself
i became numb
cold
even when basking in

the sun after the final quake
until one day
washed up
concealed under the lines you used to draft me
a piece you hid from me for so long
was revealed to me by the harsh reality of our current
finally within my reach
i skipped straight to the fineprint
and behold
therein lied the statement
"land of the tease, home of the slave"
contracted
in your handwriting

...i had to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment